Making an accurate diagnosis of your condition is a critical step to ensure you receive the most time and cost effective therapy possible. Our Halifax Doctors of Chiropractic take the time to discuss your health concerns and perform a thorough physical examination. Diagnostic imaging such as X-Rays can be requisitioned if required, and are covered under your MSI. Active Approach Chiropractors then provide a detailed diagnosis of the condition and discuss the best course of action for treatment, however, treating the condition doesn't complete the entire picture.
The goal of Chiropractic treatment at Active Approach Health & Wellness Centre is to not only resolve the symptoms of your condition, but to help you make the necessary changes to prevent future reoccurrence of the problem. Sometimes this requires very minor modifications, while other times it can be more of an in-depth process. Examining the various factors in your life that may have contributed to the injury helps you take control of your well being by promoting an injury free, active lifestyle.
Our Doctors of Chiropractic are trained in many therapeutic techniques which are tailored to your optimal treatment plan. They regularly employ Active Release Techniques®, Low Level Laser Therapy, and Contemporary Medical Acupuncture based on your specific treatment needs.
Active Approach Physiotherapists in Halifax are constantly updating their skills through continuing education courses in order to provide the best possible treatment for their clients. Our goal is to achieve patient independence through excellence in education, manual therapy and exercise. Our Physiotherapists often use manual therapy in their treatment plans. Manual therapy is a process of rehabilitation that uses a variety of "hands on" treatments to restore normal function and mobility after disease or injury. Manual therapy techniques include joint mobilization, soft tissue techniques, acupuncture, dry needling, stretching, exercising and education.
Physiotherapists can help:
- Prevent and treat sports injuries
- Restore and increase range of motion of joints
- Increase coordination
- Design user friendly or ergonomically correct homes or workplaces
- Educate clients in the use of devices such as canes, crutches and wheelchairs
- Help injured individuals return to work successfully through "work hardening" programs
- Alleviate pain
Massage Therapists at Active Approach in Halifax are trained in a variety of massage techniques that can be employed depending on the reason for your discomfort. These include Shiatsu, Craniosacral Therapy®, LaStone® Therapy, Reflexology and Myofascial Release. Your Massage Therapist will go over your concerns during your initial consultation and together you will determine which therapy is best for you.
Therapeutic Massage focuses on the assessment and treatment of the structures of the entire body including muscles, ligaments, tendons, and fascia via manual application. The goals of therapeutic massage are to help the body heal and to prevent and treat injury. This form of massage therapy typically focuses on a particular area of concern and the effects include relaxation, improved muscle tone, circulation, respiration and nerve transmission. It can be used to treat a wide variety of conditions and has been very successful in the treatment of many individuals. Therapeutic Massage is a broad category that also encompasses deep tissue massage, pregnancy massage and sports massage.
Whether you are a high level athlete or local softball player, pregnant and feeling the stresses this new stage in your life is putting on your body, or someone who just has some pain muscle pain and is looking for relief, Active Approach has the answer. Our Halifax Massage Therapists will tailor a plan and employ the techniques suited to your individual circumstance to help get you feeling better in no time.
Naturopathic Medicine is an integration of standard medical diagnostics with natural therapies to improve health and treat illness. Traditional and natural forms of medicine are used to treat and resolve the underlying root causes of dysfunction without suppressing or masking symptoms. Your first appointment at our Halifax office will take 60 minutes and will involve a thorough investigation of all of your health concerns, symptoms and goals. A physical exam will be completed by our Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine, Dr Jennifer Forgeron and blood work may be necessary to assess a patient’s condition or to monitor progress. If you have had recent blood work, lab testing, or imaging performed by your medical doctor or other healthcare professional, please bring a copy to your first appointment. This can help avoid a delay in treatment recommendations and will direct more efficient and effective care.
Naturopathic Doctors are able to treat acute and chronic conditions. From colds, flus and indigestion to hormonal imbalances, arthritis and heart disease. Natural therapies are chosen based on the individual patient. This includes clinical nutrition, lifestyle counseling, botanical medicine, vitamin/mineral supplementation, hydrotherapy, traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture. Dr. Forgeron takes into account all medical treatments a patient is undergoing to create safe, integrated and individualized treatment plans.
Dr. Forgeron offers complimentary 15 minute consultations to discuss your individual concerns and how Naturopathic Medicine can help you feel better.
- First, do no harm - Use the least invasive measures that do the least amount of harm to the body. Appropriate referrals are made when more urgent medical treatment is necessary.
- Treat the whole person - Integrated medical care recognizes each patient requires treatment tailored to them. Naturopathic medicine involves all aspects of health, including physical, mental and emotional well being.
- Education: Doctor as teacher - Doctor, or Docere means to teach. Dr. Forgeron works to educate you around every treatment used. If you have any questions, please ask.
- Identify and treat the cause - Symptoms are the body’s reaction to illness/infection or attempts at healing. Instead of prescribing treatment to remove or mask a given symptom, treatment plans aim to treat and remove the cause of disease.
- The healing power of nature - Our bodies have an innate ability to heal. Naturopathic Medicine seeks to support the healing ability of the body, to correct dysfunction and remove obstacles to your ability heal.
- Prevention - Treatment aims to prevent chronic illness and disease by supporting overall health and wellness.